Sunday, November 6, 2011

Do stories transcend time?

During my morning walk around the neighborhood, I came up with this question. At first, the obvious answer is 'yes', or to me it was. If you consider the notion that time is not linear, ie, past, present, future, but it is all in the now, and multdimensional at that, what happens to those stories that make up who we are?
I venture to say that those stories that are meaningful, character building, or emotionally biased are those that stick with us throughout. I can't remember what I did last Tuesday but I can remember the births of my daughters as if they were yesterday, not 30 years ago.
That segways me into books. I had been thinking of a book to introduce to the student I am mentoring, who has a fondness for animals but a dislike of reading as she has never found a good book. After much thought, I came up with White Fang by Jack London.... I read it years ago, it is set during the end of the 19th century and what I remember is more of the emotions,the excitement and the feelings associated with the story. I look forward to reading it again and reliving the details.

I have a couple of books that I read once every ten years. Each time, it is like vacationing with my old friends and the stories that they tell. What a treat.

Stories are timeless, all those who read the scriptures and holy books surely think so. These days where things change so fast, one minute your in and the next you are a 'who was that?" (Doesn't Heidi Klum and all the other copycats on Bravo say that?) I venture to conclude that it has everything to do with the story content not when it happened

No comments:

Post a Comment